Following a sweep across 38 websites, the Irish Data Protection Commission (DPC) advises websites to get control of cookies and consents within a six-month period. Here's how to comply with the DPC's guidelines.
Irish DPC in cookie sweep
Irish website owners and operators have been warned by the Irish Data Protection Commission (DPC) that they could face enforcement actions over the use of tracking cookies.
While only a small number of websites (38) were targeted in the sweep, the results indicate a total lack of even basic information regarding privacy and the inability for users to give unambiguous consent for the placement of tracking technologies or cookies on their devices.
The DPC states that “most ordinary users will not be aware of the extent to which they may be tracked across their devices at home and at work, and across their browsing, reading and social habits”.
Although users are rarely tracked by name, the ability to track them by unique identifiers set through cookies means users are being targeted as individuals.
Such targeting/profiling is subject to the GDPR and requires valid consent from the users of the website.
Six-month grace period before enforcement
The fact that bad practices are widespread even among companies and websites that are household names suggests a more systemic issue that must be tackled.
The new guidance will be followed by possible enforcements where controllers fail to bring themselves into compliance voluntarily.
The DPC sets the grace period to six-months for websites to get compliant.
How to obtain valid consent to cookies?
If you are looking to bring your website into compliance with the DPC’s requirements for cookies and consent, we here provide you with a short overview on how to obtain valid consent.
Obtaining valid consent requires:
CHECKLIST - VALID CONSENT
To collect valid consent, you need a cookie consent solution (banner) which:
- Informs your visitors of cookies (who owns them; their purpose; lifespan)
- Provides your visitors with the option to decline cookies (and tracking)
- Holds back cookies before consent is obtained
- Does not assume consent with pre-ticked boxes
- Collects and stores consents for 5 years (in case of inspection by DPA).
Start collecting valid consent
Collecting valid consent from your users is not difficult. Actually, with Cookie Information’s Consent Solution set up on your website, you’ll never have to worry about cookie rules and GDPR again.
Try our Consent Solution for 30 days [for free!]
What do you get?
Cookie Information's Consent Solution offers you a highly customizable consent pop-up for your website.
The pop-up integrates perfectly with your website UX design and is completely ePrivacy and GDPR compliant.
Features of the solution:
- GDPR valid consent pop-up (to collect user consents)
- Privacy controls (options for your user to decline cookies)
- Deep scan (of your website cookies)
- Storage of Consents for up to 5 years (as required by law)
- SDK implementation options (for blocking cookies prior to consent)
- Compliance Dashboard (complete overview of cookies, consents and acceptance rates).