Why? Because a lot of them only have cookie pop-up banners that inform users of cookies with no possibility to decline cookies with no collection of actual consents, and with no respect for prior consent (holding back cookies until consent is given).
For you, as a website owner or data protection officer of a company website, your cookie consent solution must:
- The document which cookies your site is using before any data collection and processing takes place.
- Collect a freely given consent (with a clear option to “say no” to cookies).
- Hold back cookies until consent is given (prior consent).
- Provide your users with choices regarding the types of cookies the users consent to when using your site (e.g., functional, statistical, marketing).
- Store users’ consent to cookies for up to 5 years (also if they decline).
- Offer the possibility to change or withdraw consent (as easy as it was to give).